Getting Started With Zoom
For your convenience, we've compiled a few of Zoom's official video tutorials that walk you through the platform's essential functions. Below the video, we've listed the basic steps for getting started with Zoom and included some links to additional resources.
At the bottom of this page, we've included the specific procedures that OLLI at UNT follows for our Zoom courses.
1. Create Your Account (optional)
- Go to https://zoom.us/signup to create your free Zoom account. If you choose not to create an account, you'll need to type in a display name each time you join a meeting.
2. Download Zoom (optional)
- Desktop/Laptop Computer: Go to https://zoom.us/download and click the blue "Download" button underneath the Zoom Client for Meetings heading.
- iPhone/iPad: Download the Zoom app from the Apple App Store.
- Android Phone/Tablet: Download the Zoom app from the Google Play Store.
If you prefer not to download Zoom onto your computer or device, you can still join meetings using your internet browser. When you click on the link for a Zoom meeting, look for and select the "join from your browser" option.
3. Try It Out
- Guide for New Users: Click here to read Zoom's quick start guide for new users.
- Join a Test Meeting: Practice your Zoom skills before you join an actual meeting. Go to https://zoom.us/test.
- Attend a Zoom Training: Zoom's experts host free and interactive live training webinars daily. Get up to speed in less than an hour. Click here to register for a live training or watch a recording of a previous training.
- Top 20 Zoom Resources: Click here to view the most commonly accessed resources on Zoom's website.
Joining an OLLI at UNT Zoom Course
- To enroll in OLLI at UNT virtual courses or events, sign in to the Member Portal, add the items to your cart, and then check out. If you prefer, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to let staff know which courses or events you want to attend and we will enroll you manually. Whether you enroll through the Member Portal or by email, you will receive a confirmation email containing all of the Zoom links you'll need to attend your courses and events.
- When it's time for a virtual course to begin, click the Zoom link provided in your confirmation email. For your convenience, the Zoom links for the upcoming week's courses are also included in our weekly email to members.
- If you've downloaded the Zoom app onto your computer or mobile device, the meeting should open automatically. If you prefer not to download the app, select the "join from your browser" option that will appear on your screen after you click the Zoom link.
- You will be placed in a "waiting room" until the host (an OLLI staff member) admits you into the main meeting. The host will begin admitting members into the meeting 5 minutes prior to start time.
- To avoid audio interference with the instructor's presentation, all members will be muted automatically upon entering the Zoom meeting. We've asked our instructors to leave 5-10 minutes at the end of each session to respond to questions. To submit a question, use Zoom's Chat feature, which can be identified by its speech bubble icon.